CROCK POT BEEF STEW
Serve up a hot meal without the fuss for your family tonight: This crock pot beef stew is the perfect easy comfort food. It is simple to prepare in the slow cooker, made entirely from scratch for a healthy dinner! It is the best kind of meal you can sit d #CrockpotRecipesBlogSelfe #CrockpotRecipesBeef #roast #soup #mixes #beef #easy #slowcookerCROCK POT BEEF STEW , By CrockPot Recipes Blog Selfe .
Total Time: 490 Minutes, Servings: 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1.5 pounds beef stewing meat in chunks
- 2 large yellow onions cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup red wine OR use more stock
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1-2 teaspoons salt or less, depending on what kind of stock you’re using
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 large waxy potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 large carrots peeled, ends trimmed and cut into chunks
- 4 large celery sticks trimmed and thickly sliced
- 1/2 pound brown mushrooms cleaned and quartered
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup frozen peas no need to defrost
- Brown the meat: Heat the oil in a large and deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef cubes and stir. Sprinkle the flour over the meat and stir well. Cook until the beef is browned on all sides (do not stir too much, or the beef will not brown properly). Remove to a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Start the gravy: Put the skillet back over medium high heat. If needed, add a little more oil. Cook the onions until starting to brown. Stir in the garlic, Italian seasoning and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until the herbs are fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour the red wine into the pan, scartching the browned bits off the bottom. Cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in the stock, Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil (this will help the stew start cooking faster once it is in the crock), then switch off the heat.
- Transfer to the slow cooker: On top of the meat, place the potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms, thyme and bay. Very carefully (!) ladle the hot liquid from the skillet into the crockpot, making sure the liquid runs down all the way to the bottom and underneath the meat (stir a little if needed).
- Cook: Cook the stew on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGh for 4 hours. 10 minutes before cooking time is over, stir in the peas. Check for seasoning and adjust if needed. Either finish cooking with the lid open (if you want a thicker stew) OR closed if you want it soupier.
Copyright: CrockPot Recipes Blog Selfe
Comment 954 / Based On 954 Total User
Rated 4.8 / Based On 954 Customer Reviews